It’s time to put your knowledge to the test! Look at the ‘Who were the Huguenots?’ page, explore the fact sheets and then see if you can answer the following questions…
- Who were the Huguenots?
- What did they believe in?
- Why did they leave France and where did they go?
- Why did they come to Britain (and Spitalfields specifically)?
- What was Britain and London like at that time?
- What work did they do and how did people train and get employment?
- What were their houses like?
- How did they live (food, income, family, health, training and community)?
- What traces can you find of the Huguenots in your local area?
- How many French people had become Protestant by the 17th Century?
- What was the population of France at the time?
- What professions were the Huguenots forbidden to enter? (name three).
- What were the soldiers called who were sent to live in the homes of Protestant families with the aim of bullying them to convert back to Catholicism?
- To which countries did the Huguenots flee ? (name three)