On this map, you will be able to spot the streets mentioned below. You will see some differences between the modern map and the one dating from c.1790.
Blossom Street, Fleur de Lis Street and Elder Street
Built by Sir Isaac Tillard c.1720. The Tillard family were Huguenot immigrants who settled in Totnes, Devon. They named the streets after flowers. The Fleur de Lis is also the most common symbol in French heraldry.
No.59 Brick Lane, on the corner with Fournier Street, was built in 1742-74 as a Huguenot Chapel. It was later used as a Methodist mission and a Synagogue. The building was converted in 1975 and is now the Jamme Masjid.
Commemorates the French theologian, John Calvin (1509-1564), who led the Protestant Reformation in France.
Named after the Huguenots.
Named after John, 1st Earl of Ligonier (1680-1770), a British soldier born in Castres in France of Huguenot descent.
The Spitalfields Mathematical Society, founded in 1717, was based on Crispin Street. Many of its members were Huguenots involved with the manufacture of optical and navigational instruments.
Montclare Street and Calvert Avenue
These names are of Huguenot origin.
Named after Henry of Navarre (1553 – 1610), later King Henry IV of France.
Named after Bernard Palissy (1509-1589), a Huguenot craftsman. He was imprisoned in 1588 because of his religious beliefs and died shortly afterwards.
Named after the French seaport, La Rochelle, which had close links to the Huguenot community.
Takes its name from the Huguenot silk weavers.
No.37 Spital Square is the last surviving Georgian mansion on the square. It was built in the 1740s by Peter Ogier, a wealthy Huguenot silk merchant
Named in 1883 after the death of Henri of Artois (1820-1883), Count of Chambord and pretender to the French throne, to reflect the Huguenot settlement of the area.
No.56 Artillery Lane, one of the oldest remaining shop fronts in London, was occupied from 1720 by Nicholas Jourdain, a Huguenot silk mercer and Director of the French hospital.
Named after a Huguenot refugee, George Fournier, the street is still full of elegant townhouses which were once home to Huguenot weavers. The houses had huge attic windows which were designed to let in as much light as possible to help the weavers with their work.
Source: Tower Hamlets Local History Archives